Thursday, June 12, 2008

Morbid Thoughts

I can't help but have morbid thoughts today. The Filipino news on the SBS channel this morning carried the news of Rudy Fernandez's death (a popular actor in Philippine movies). And he was born on the same year I was! Last week, I got an email from Susan, a very good friend of mine and neighbour in Iligan City, bringing news about who among our friends died recently and who are terminally ill. This morning, on our way to the train station, I told my husband that I will be retiring in 2014 when most of our debts will be fully paid, then blurted "will I still be around by that time?"

When I was on the train, I started to think of my health problems (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, anemia, cataract, hearing impairment.."the works"), my young daughter who is still in high school, the thousand and one things that I planned to do but never got around to doing...it looks like I'm running out of time. So, I've decided to stop worrying about these things and enjoy life.

At work, an officemate forwarded to me an email regarding a Philippine Food Festival held at the Grace Hotel nearby. The attached menu included kare-kare, kinilaw, lengua estofada and other mouth-watering dishes but the cost was rather expensive. I was about to delete the email when I remembered my resolution this morning to enjoy life. So I rang my husband and told him to meet me at the entrance of Grace Hotel for lunch. He asked "what's the occasion?" and I said "let's celebrate your birthday in advance!" Oh well, it was an expensive way to drive away the morbid thoughts but the sumptuous lunch really made my day. Have you tried eating when you are worried about something?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's stress eating! Hehehe. I always say it's one of the reasons why I gained more and more weight. I eat when I'm happy and I eat when I'm sad. I also eat when I worry about or get excited over something. Hehe.

But then again, I love vanilla ice cream and who can resist that crispy crispy panit sa lechon? hehehe.